Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Michigan Independent Book Store Survey

In the past two days I have called twenty-five independent books stores to pitch Family at Booknook. Ten phones had been disconnected and several stores with limited hours had answering machines. All ten of the proprietors that I reached were welcoming and expressed a desire to support Michigan Authors.

When the owners had a moment, I asked them about business—my little survey.
Carolyn at Squirreled Away Books in Armada, a farming community of 600 families, told me that she has been in the business for years and has loyal clientele. “I don’t have to compete with the big guys and we offer service.”She also sells on line, and during fall colors tourists stop in.

Amy at Horizon Books in Petoskey indicated that she and her husband opened their shop in 1960 and own their building. Thus they are well established and have low overhead. “We don’t depend on best sellers. We sell books one at a time. We pay attention to the nuts and bolts and are involved with the community.” she said.

The Island Bookstore in Mackinaw City will close for the winter. The pleasant young woman who spoke with me indicated that their book store caters to seasonal tourists. They are interested in any books by Michigan authors about Michigan.

These successful businesses seemed to have several things in common: longevity, low overhead, desirable location, service, carving out a niche and, most important, a love of books. I’d love to have comments from independent book store owners. How are you succeeding?

No comments:

Post a Comment