Wednesday, September 30, 2009

WHY DO WE WRITE?

Coming Event: Meet and greet at Waldonbooks in Adrian Saturday, October 10th 1:00-3:00pm

I’ve been thinking about Laura Kryzaniak one of the women who read at Art-a-licious. She wrote Riding to the Occasion about a dyslexic young man that she taught. She was saddened by his decision to quit school and applauded his becoming a champion rodeo star. Laura and I both began writing when we were touched by the torment of dyslexia.

Thirteen years ago I began to write in earnest when our youngest twelve-year old son, a severe dyslexic, could not decipher the reading code. My husband Murray, and I were compelled to send him away to boarding school. I felt like I was abandoning my son. Each morning I would journal until I felt I could begin my day. Writing became my therapy.

I think this is why people write. We write to understand, to find our voices, to make sense of our lives. We do not have to be gifted writers; the computer makes it possible. We can cut and paste and check our spelling. And when it is all done, even if it’s just for ourselves, we feel cleansed. And once in a while, if we work hard and figure out what we really want to say, we end up with something worthwhile that others want to read.

If there are any “closet writers” reading this, I’d like to hear your comments on writing. I think this blog will accept comments. You just have to register. I’m assured commenting will not open you up to unsolicited email.

No comments:

Post a Comment