Saturday, September 19, 2009

ADRIAN MY FORMER HOME HOSTS ART-A-LICIOUS

I lived in Adrian in the '70s and worked at Community Mental Health. Booknook is set in Adrian. I was tickled to participate in Adrian's Art-a-licious and hopeful of connecting with old friends. The art festival, in its fourth year is well worth the trip—music, food, art and activities for the kids. Cristina Trapani Scott, a reporter from the Tecumseh Harold, read her poetry and was mistress of ceremony. With passion she introduced local authors Sally Gomez, Laura Krzyaniak and me. Several people stopped, visited and purchased.

Maumee Street was abuzz with friendly people. After a lengthy renovation, Adrian Library opened its front door for the celebration. At 7:00pm I found director Carol Shouchuck, who had been working nonstop all day, giving a leisurely tour of the library to a couple of patrons.

It was delightful to see Debbie Strayer, whom I’d worked with years ago at Community Mental Health. Her husband Lad Strayer had taken my photo for the Booknook Telegram article and was also displaying his work. Former colleagues Helen and Roger Hendricks stopped by. In retirement Roger gardens roses and gifts bouquets to various businesses. Roger said he welcomes people to come by and pick the flowers. At dusk I wandered through his garden. The roses are gorgeous: yellow, white, red, orange and colors in various shades. I love the idea of sharing. So, I picked five and am planning to take a single rose to several friends and neighbors. Thanks, Roger.

Husband Murray and I ate at the Grasshopper, my favorite Adrian restaurant: mole chalupas and green cheese enchiladas. The chalupas are crunchy and delicate, enchiladas are rich with cheese without being over powering. Here I go commenting on the food again. But seriously, when I ask for the green cheese enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant, they don’t know what I’m talking about. Our server said that locals get off the plane from wintering in Florida and head to the Grasshopper. I told Rachel, manager and wife of the owner, how my protagonist, Sparrow, lived in Booknook across from the Grasshopper and longingly watched the comings and goings at night. Rachel was anxious to read Family at Booknook and thought her teenage daughters would also like it.

It was a lovely evening. This marketing isn't half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment